quinta-feira, 19 de junho de 2014


6 Books All College Students Should Read

June 19, 2014  by  Tucker Sholtes

It was not until college that I really began to develop a passion for reading as a tool for personal growth. Since my freshman year, I have amassed a collection of over 100 books from topic areas such as Leadership, Business, and Personal Growth. While all of these books have left an impression on me, there are a select few that I consistently find myself rereading and recommending to others.

These books have helped shape my life and I hope you find that they do the same for you.

1. Give and Take, Adam Grant

For those who have ever heard the phrase "assholes finish first", Give and Take might just convince you otherwise.

The author proposes that there are three different kinds of individuals in the world; Givers, Takers and Matchers. Through various studies, stories and research, he presents evidence that suggests givers are neither the most or least successful individuals in the world. In fact, givers happen to be both, it all depends on what type of giver an individual is.

Learn to be a giver the right way, and you might begin to find that not only yourself but those around you become more successful.

If you're not convinced, perhaps these will help.

This book has helped me understand the power helping others holds, but more importantly, it has taught me how to better allocate my time in order to help others without hurting myself.

2. The Defining Decade, Meg Jay

Every wondered where you are heading in life? Ever been sitting in your dorm and thought "I have the rest of my life to get my life in order?"

According to Dr. Meg Jay, a clinical psychologist specializing in twenty-something's, you may be underestimating the most important 10 years of your life. Furthermore, the twenties are not only the pivotal decade of a person’s life, but claiming your 20's “is one of the simplest, yet most transformative, things you can do for work, for love, for your happiness, maybe even for the world.”

I always thought I had a decent understanding of how important the choices and decisions I make at this moment in time are, but I didn't.

Did you know:

1.  Eight out of ten “aha” moments that make your life what it is have happened by the time you’re 35?

2.  More than half of Americans are married or are dating their future partner by 30?

3.  The first ten years of a career has an exponential impact on how much money you’re going to earn?

4.  Female fertility peaks at age 28 and things get tricky after age 35?

I did, that's for sure. Throughout the books, a series of stories from Meg's past patience are presented that really made me begin to think about my own life, the choices I have (or haven't) made, and the things that I have said.

Don't have time to begin reading another book? check out Meg's TED Talk.

3. The Go-Getter, Peter B. Kyne

Have you ever wondered what a go-getter really is? We have all heard the phrase, but what does a go-getter actually look like?

In less than 50 pages, this easy read tells you of the story of a young war veteran that is faced with an opportunity to become successful, but not without a fight.

This this book was first published back in 1921, it is anything but dated and its lessons taught me how to get a little extra hop in my step.

Of all of the books I have read, this one has been reread about a dozen times, each time reigniting a fire under me to get up and accomplish more!

4. The Promise of a Pencil, Adam Braun

Have you ever considered starting your own non-profit? Or at least working for one? After reading this I have begun to seriously consider moving overseas after graduation to gain better understanding of how the less fortunate live (yeah, it's that inspirational of a read).

Adam tells the story of how he went to Brown University (as a triple major AND a member of the basketball team, no big deal) graduating magna cum laude and subsequently obtained a job at Bain & Company as a Consultant. Despite his bright future in the for-profit world, I Semester at Sea and other international encounters ultimately provoked him to quit his job and start the non-profit Pencils of Promise.

This book really made me question what I want in life, and more importantly; whether I want what I want for the right reasons. It is a book that I plan to re-read soon as I begin to apply for jobs and find where my future lies.

5. Start with Why, Simon Sinek

I first was introduced to the concept of "Starting with why" by Simon's TED Talk. Since I began taking my first business classes, I had always wondered by some companies have good relationships with customers while others suffer? Why some wonderful products receive a cult-like adoption while others (like TiVo) do not.

Reading this book made me begin to realize that it is not what an individual or company does that matters but WHY they do it that makes the real difference. Simon presents wonderful examples of this principle in action, examples that made me subsequently begin to question whether or not my life and organizations start by asking why.

Of all the books I have read, I would argue that this book influenced me more than any other within the area of leadership. Why you lead, not how you lead, really does make all of the difference.

6. Good to Great, Jim Collins

A classic and a cornerstone book to many, Good to Great was the first serious business book that I ever read. Despite how long it has been since I read it (rereading it soon), I have to give credit to Jim Collins for igniting my passion for business.

It is not easy to create a good organization, but even harder to create a great one. As a college student, I began to learn how to make the student organizations I am a part of better. But perhaps more importantly, I learned what to look for in an organization as I begin my job search.

Pesquisa,  Divulgação: Miguel Moyses Neto  Se gostou desta matéria , divulgue para seus amigos.

Visite nosso linkedin http://br.linkedin.com/pub/miguel-moyses-neto/28/971/9aa---Twitter: @mikenetIT onde VC poderá ver as principais agencias de noticias e os links das empresas & nomes mais famosos do mundo! ou simplesmente visite nosso blog :


Bremense Participacoes Ltda
  
 
 
Desde 1940
 

 

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário